Personal Connection


"The Man He Killed" was specifically chosen by myself because of the topic presented: war. As a pacifist, I disagree with all wars in theory. Though I am realistic enough to understand that, at times, conflict will be unavoidable due to certain circumstances, understanding and accepting are two very separate concepts. I hold on to the idealistic view that situations can be resolved peacefully so long as all parties contribute. And, on a more personal level, my opposition also stems from the two close cousins and a friend who are enlisted in the US Armed Forces, as well as horror stories told from my grandfather and uncles.

"The Man He Killed" seems to speak of the shock and confusion that afflicts all victims of war. In my view, it describes my own inability to understand how violence can be such a common event among the supposed sentient beings of the human race.